Wednesday 29 May 2013

Ray Manzarek 1939-2013


We interrupt this 'New Shit That Came To Light' to mourn the passing of one of our musical heroes, and an early addition to *The List*, Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek. At Birds On A Wire Towers, we rarely fight over men. In the hypothetical  "What would we do if all of The Doors asked both of us out?" scenario, things are no different. Liz clearly gets a rock 'n roll evening with Jim, and I get Ray. In all seriousness, when I woke to the sound of 'Light My Fire' on Radio 4 last week, I got the same sinking feeling I'd had in April when they'd played Richie Havens' 'Freedom' a few moments before announcing the folk legend's death. 

I started getting into The Doors when I was thirteen, and what set them apart from a lot of the 1960s bands I was listening to was the addition of those amazing psychedelic electric piano riffs. Manzarek was, of course, responsible for them. I spent many an embarrassing teenage hour listening to LA Woman in the dark, trying to imagine myself back to Haight Ashbury. Or thereabouts. 

I've been left with a lifelong love of the pop/rock organ, and I'm sure Manzarek's nimble fingers have had exactly the same impact on musos the world over. It's hard to pick a favourite Doors electric piano riff, but the meandering, hypnotic genius of 'Riders On The Storm' is hard to beat, isn't it? Hear Ray chatting about it (and jamming on it) here

"We gotta put some jazz to it. Make it dark." Yes.

Laura X

No comments:

Post a Comment