Tuesday 15 January 2013

Don't be a drag

Serious girl crush alert. After watching back to back re-runs of Ru Paul's Drag race on New Years Day, we have developed slight obsessions with drag. Yes, we know, we were already verging on the brink of obsession, but our latest Ru-Fest really tipped us over the edge. Luckily, that edge is bejewelled, padded and FIERCE.

You better work

In particular, I think I am actually slightly in love with Sharon Needles. Like, really. It's starting to disrupt my work, I'm not sleeping and the self-styled punk-rock sex-clown is dominating my conversational choices. Some of this, I am sure is pure envy - why can't I get away with a white contact lenses/ octopus tentacles/ killer heels combo?!

Sharon Needles - Super Star!

Previous seasons served us plenty of Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve and Talent. Willam, Raja and, Laura's girl crush Pandora Boxx are all firm favourites for their intelligence, humour and grace.

Lick my Boxx - Pandora Boxx

What is it about the art of drag that keeps us hooked? Aside from the obvious aesthetic attractions (shoes, big hair, glitter, make up, hot glue guns), what else are we getting from the hours (and hours and hours - hey, we don't actually have a TV, remember?!) of viewing?

I'm sure the girls would approve of these -
I can even bust moves in these bad boys

Surprisingly (or maybe not), there are a LOT of positive messages in Drag Race. At its essence it is a show that celebrates people expressing who they are and the love they have for themselves and their work. These qualities are rarely celebrated in the mainstream 'talent'- you're not good enough so let's laugh at you-shows that seem to be more popular. This suggests that there are a lot of people out there who would rather sit and judge from the comfort of their armchairs than actually go and do something creative/courageous/ wonderful. What a waste.


Bird's on a wire are all about letting our freak flags fly - it's the freaks that keep us going, and if those freaks happen to be wearing the biggest bad-ass heels available, all the better. 

(St) Ru Paul puts this far more eloquently than I, "If you can't love yourself, how the hell are you gonna love anyone else? - Can I get an AMEN up in here?!" Now, where did I leave my eyelash glue....

Liz xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment